Prevalence and Clinical Spectrum of Lichen Planus in Kano, Nigeria


  • Shehuf M Yusu
  • Usman A Tijjani
  • Baba M Maiyaki
  • Ibrahimm Nashabaru
  • Muhammad S Mijinyawa
  • Gezawa D Ibrahim

J Turk Acad Dermatol 2016;10(3):0-0


Lichen planus (LP) is a papulosquamous disease that affects skin, mucous membranes, hair and nails. It is a condition that lasts for 1 to 2 years, but may take a chronic, relapsing course over many years.


To study the prevalence and clinical spectrum of lichen planus in Kano, Nigeria.

Material and Methods:

This is a cross sectional observational study of patients who presented at the medical outpatient clinic of Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital, Kano between August 2011 and October 2013.


A total of 3,874 patients had various forms of skin diseases during the study period. Out of these, 158, had LP comprising of 68 (43%) males and 90 (57%) females. Lichen planus therefore, accounted for 4% of all dermatology cases that were seen on out- patients’ visit. The patients’ ages ranged from 3 to 68 years, with most of them in the age range of 20 to 49 years.

One hundred and two (64.5%) of them, presented with the classical variant of LP followed by the mixed variant with occurrence in 25 patients (15.4%). Actinic and Bullous variants had the least occurrences with 2, (1.2%) each.

Lichen planus confined to the skin was observed in 152 (96%) of the patients, while skin and mucous membrane involvement was seen in remaining 6 patients (4%) out of which 3 had lesions that involved the oral mucosa. None of the patients in this study presented with lesions restricted to the oral mucosa. The scalp was affected in 12 (7.6%), while genital lesions were seen in 2 patients (1.3%). Nail involvement was observed in 15 (9%) patients. Recurrence of the disease was documented in 29 (18 %) of the patients.


Lichen planus is not an uncommon condition in Kano, Nigeria as the observed prevalence is similar to the findings in other places. However, mucosal involvement is relatively rare.

Keywords: Lichen planus, prevalence